Animazement is always looking for those who are interested in having a hands-on experience in the workings of a cultural convention. We realize that this interest varies from serving for a few hours to working through the tracks that will enable him or her to serve on staff. Regardless of where you fit in the overall plan, we appreciate your interest.
You must be at least 16 years of age by May 1 of the year of that convention.
All volunteers and staff must abide by all rules and policies set forth by Animazement and the Raleigh Convention Center. These are in place to protect staff, volunteers, guests, and attendees providing safe guidelines.
After contacting us by email you will be contacted by our volunteer coordinator to arrange securing an application form and a personal interview. The volunteer coordinator will consult with division heads and the applicant will be notified about their status in April.
Event Staff applications have closed for 2014.
Standby volunteer sign-up will be available online soon and also during the convention at Con Ops.
Con/Op Volunteer Hours:
Thursday: 3:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Sunday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
The following levels will help you understand the steps to take in order to work your way up in our organization:
Standby Volunteer (ages 16+): Standby volunteers sign-up for hourly time slots and wait for volunteer opportunities to arise (no guarantee). Volunteers must have an Animazement badge at the time of volunteer service. They may work up to 6 hours per day. You may come by Con/Ops during Volunteer Hours to sign-up.
Benefits: For working 6+ hours, you earn a convention T-Shirt. For working 12+ hours, you earn a paid registration for the next year’s convention.
Event Staff (ages 18+): Staff that only work during the convention, up to 8 hours per day with a minimum of 18 hours total. Two years of previous convention volunteer experience is preferred (32+ hours) and Division Head approval. Must submit a full application prior to the deadline for consideration.
Benefits: Staff T-shirts, 3-day pass, staff meal plan, parking, hotel room (4 per room; first-come, first-served).**
Staff (ages 20+): Staff that work for 3 – 6 months. Three years of previous convention volunteer experience is required (72+ hours) and Division Head approval.
Benefits: Staff T-shirts, 3-day pass, staff meal plan, parking, hotel room (2 per room).
Division Head (ages 25+): Directors and Staff that work year round.
Benefits: Staff T-shirts, 3-day pass, staff meal plan, parking, hotel room (2 per room), one giveaway attendee badge.
** Hotel rooms are available as first come, first served for those at Event Staff level running from Thursday night through Sunday check-out. They are strictly gender regulated and their use is limited exclusively to the workers to whom they are assigned. Any individual violating this policy will be removed from the room and their status revoked. Hotel rooms are a scarce commodity and are never guaranteed. Please make sure to have back-up arrangements. In the room you will most likely be sharing a bed. There will be a 4 person per room limit. Alcohol, drug use or firearms are prohibited. As this is a place to rest, sleep and refresh, parties and gatherings are not to be held in crash rooms. Rooms may be inspected by Division Heads at any time.
Evaluations will take place with division heads at the end of each convention to determine eligibility for future volunteer work.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to register and pay the entrance fee in order to volunteer?
- Yes, you must be a registered and paid attendee of Animazement at the time of your volunteer service.
May I wear my cosplay while volunteering?
- Standby volunteers may wear their costume as long as it does not interfere with their assigned task. For Event Staff and above, we require you to wear your staff T-shirts so you are quickly recognizable by attendees in need of assistance.
Must I volunteer every day? Is it necessary to work the whole day?
- No, standby volunteers work a maximum of 6 hours per day when available. You may sign-in and out in order to attend specific events.
What sort of volunteer tasks are there?
- There are a range of tasks including delivering items, working at registration, controlling lines, setting up tech equipment, monitoring for safety and security, and much more. When submitting your staff application please specify any special skills or interests you have, the more detail the better!
Do I have to have certain skills to volunteer?
- No specific skills are required to volunteer. However, if you do have experience or skills that may be helpful please let us know!
How many standby volunteers do you need?
- The number of volunteers needed varies depending on scheduled events. Large events (cospay, masquerade, concerts) need more people at one time and may be your best opportunity to help if you do not plan to attend the event.